PITTSFIELD, MA – Pittsfield fire authorities were called to a local furniture business during the work day because of a smoldering fire in the back loading dock. Before the fire department arrived, an employee in the business’s wood working shop grabbed a portable fire extinguisher to spray the fire. He was able to completely put out the fire before it was able to spread. The authorities said the employee’s quick action probably saved the building.
The Deputy Fire Chief said that if fires are not extinguished very quickly in old buildings, such as that one, fires can spread extremely fast and destroy the whole building. The Deputy Fire Chief believes the fire was started due to cigarette butts on the ground, combined with the high winds and low humidity.