12-year-old Maplewood girl receives award for fighting kitchen fire

Maplewood, MN – A 12-year-old from Maplewood, MN has received the Fire Chief’s Recognition Award for her quick thinking when she stopped a fire that broke out in her kitchen. As the fire began to spread from the stove to a nearby box on the counter, she knew to look for the nearest fire extinguisher. Although she had never been trained in how to use a fire extinguisher, she was able to completely douse the fire. After the incident, the family encouraged everyone to keep a fire extinguisher on hand.

Star Tribune – Maplewood, MN


« Back to Articles